Would you believe it's already October? For our staff, October means one thing: National Dental Hygiene Month. This month, we join the American Dental Hygienists' Association in spreading the word that good dental habits are easy to develop and even easier to maintain.
Here are a few tips to help you build good oral hygiene habits this month:
* Brush your teeth at least twice a day for two to three minutes. Make sure to get the outer and inner surfaces and the chewing surfaces of each tooth.
* Floss once a day to remove plaque from between teeth. Help children learn healthy flossing habits so when they're capable, they know how to do it properly.
* Visit us on a regular basis. Children should start seeing a dentist within six months of getting their first tooth.
* Ask us what toothpaste family members should use. Remember that not all toothpaste is appropriate for all ages.
* Eat a healthy diet, rich in fruit and veggies. Avoid sugary foods and eat a high fiber diet of fruits and veggies such as apples and carrots to help prevent tooth decay.
Your teeth are an important part of your body, and keeping them clean helps keep your mouth and your body healthy. By taking care of your teeth, eating a balanced diet, and visiting our convenient offices on a regular basis, you can have healthy teeth and an attractive smile throughout your entire life.
We encourage you to check out the ADHA's National Dental Hygiene Month website for tips on keeping your mouth clean and healthy. Lastly, has it been six months since your last visit to Associates in Periodontics? If the answer is yes, we encourage you to give us a call to set up an appointment.